I'm going to go ahead and give myself a preemptive IBTL when someone decides this is a repeat of an older thread, or seems too much like another thread that was starting today
With that said, what is your top ten rankings of the bands/artists on the initial lineup? Its fair to say many people's rankings will change leading up to the festival once we all start digging deeper into unfamiliar bands, but after seeing for a day (or however long this thread has been going) what is your top ten you are looking forward to the most?
Mine was very tough to make, but here we go:
10. Tenacious D/Les Claypool/LCD Soundsystem (already a tie) 9. John Fogerty 8. Regina Spektor 7. Weezer 6. Jay-Z 5. Kings of Leon 4. Flaming Lips 3. Dead Weather 2. Deadmau5 1. Dave Matthews Band (I expect a LOT of guests)
thats a lot of D's in the end
honorable mentions: Avett Brothers, Zac Brown Band, Neon Indian, Okgo, Bassnectar, The xx, Phoenix, MMW, Blues Traveler, Baroness, Jeff Beck, Black Keys
Post by The Wookie Monster on Feb 10, 2010 11:03:28 GMT -5
This is in order of bringing me to the farm. Noted that I have yet to buy a ticket.
10. Calexico 9. Nitty Gritty Dirt Band 8. Black Keys 7. Les Claypool 6. Tinariwen 5. John Prine 4. Jimmy Cliff 3. Stevie Wonder 2. Avett Brothers 1. Jay-Z
That being said I hope they have the bluegrass tent with The Avett Brothers as headliners on Saturday, so that way I can buy a tix off the cheap and go for the full day Saturday and leave after HOVA plays.
Post by nuevodudezer47 on Feb 10, 2010 11:08:35 GMT -5
I haven't bought a ticket yet either. Hoping for some bands to crack my top ten to make me purchase. But as it stands: 1. Stevie Wonder 2. Jay-Z 3. The Flaming Lips 4. Phoenix 5. The National 6. LCD Soundsystem 7. Deadmau5 8. Dan Deacon Ensemble 9. Damian Marley & Nas 10. They Might Be Giants
1. Jay Z w/ Nas (Yes, it will happen, and yes, I'm a rap addict) 2. Stevie Wonder (Everyone doubts, he's gonna be amazing) 3. The Flaming Lips (Never seen em, and am wondering where I've been on this one the last 10 years.) 4. John Fogerty (CCR at Roo, I'm Down) 5. Weezer (Great live show) 6. Manchester Orchestra (Great live show) 7. Kings of Leon (I think they are better than most give them credit, great live) 8. John Prine 9. Les Claypool 10. Bassnectar
Last Edit: Feb 10, 2010 11:59:54 GMT -5 by pmo125 - Back to Top
Alright, after I've had all day to look it over some more and listen to more nuts...
1. Stevie Wonder 2. Jeff Beck 3. Jay Z 4. Jimmy Cliff 5. Kris Kristofferson 6. Medeski Martin and Wood 7. Damian Marley and Nas (mostly for Nas) 8. Trombone Shorty 9. John Fogerty 10. GWAR/The Melvins/Chromeo with Daryl Hall/The Dead Weather/The Flaming Lips
Post by ziggyandthemonkeys on Feb 10, 2010 11:46:03 GMT -5
Off the initial lineup. These are also what I most want to see, not necessarily what I expect to be the 10 best shows. The only acts I've seen off this list are The Avett Brothers and Gillian Welch, but those were both as openers.
1. Stevie Wonder (If anyone is expecting this to be bad they are fools imo.) 2. Jay-Z 3. Tenacious D 4. Hall & Chromeo 5. Jeff Beck 6. Dan Deacon (Live shows are suppose to be pretty epic) 7. Deadmau5 (Best techno act since Sasha & Digweed) 8. The Avett Brothers 9. Baroness 10. Dave Rawlings Machine
Post by questionablesanity on Feb 10, 2010 11:52:50 GMT -5
This was pretty tough, actually tougher than last year to pick the top ten imo. I can't begin to put them in any kind of order so.... --Dave Matthews Band (have seen them over 40 times) --Stevie Wonder (I think he will surprise the haters who say he can't headline) --Jay Z (saw once at a festival and left after 20 minutes but his live show has greatly improved) --The Flaming Lips (saw them open for Beck once and loved ) --Michael Franti and Spearhead (seen them a couple of times and so excited they're back) --Lotus (saw them a few months back and was getting ready to see them next week, now I can see Cornmeal instead and wait for their late night on the farm) --Bisco (so stoked to see them finally) --Avetts (going to see them this month and they are probably who I am most excited to see in June) --Dave Rawlings Machine (saw them a couple months ago and was blown away) --Mayer Hawthorne (get this album asap if you don't have it)
So many others like Phoenix, Jeff Beck, Chromeo, Bassnectar, etc....
I think this year will be just as fun as last year.
A Thieve's Parade 2/24 Conspirator 2/26 Kevin Smith 3/11 Keller 3/17 Papadosio 3/18 JJ Grey 3/25 Bela Fleck/Edgar Meyer 3/26 Toubab Krewe 3/27 O'Death 4/11 Budos Band 4/22 EOTO 4/28 Summer Camp 5/6-29 All Good
4. Stevie Wonder (I think he's gonna be like Bruce was last year. Everyone's gonna think it's gonna be a horrible show and then he comes out and kills it)
Just wondering... who do you know that thinks it will be a horrible show?
Probably just as many people that are thinking it's going to be great. I just remember when he was first discussed as headliner in one particular thread, it followed with a slew of complaints. But as I can see there are just as many excited about it.
Post by chrishickie on Feb 10, 2010 13:30:00 GMT -5
This is actually very difficult because I think it is a great initial lineup. 10.Blues Traveler - one of those bands that I've listened to for years and never got to see them...should be an ok show 9.Jeff Beck - the guy is a legend and is a monsterous guitarist 8.Punch Brothers - been listening to Chris Thile for a while and am still awed by his abilities as a player...wishing that Nickelcreek were still together but these guys can play 7.Norah Jones - i truly believe that if there was ever a woman made in my perfect image it would be Norah Jones. ...extremely talented player who is beautiful and has a fairly reserved personality. 6.The Flaming Lips - have never seen them play live but i have heard nothing but good things about them and am loving the idea of them covering Dark Side which is one of my top ten albums of all time 5.Dropkick Murphys - this is a show that i've been waiting for years to see...i really think they are going to bring the heat to the farm this summer and put on one of the better shows of the weekend 4.The Avett Brothers - these guys are infectiously up beat and have such a unique sound that it is not to be missed. saw them here in knoxville in december and they put on a great show. am hoping for a later afternoon/early evening set but understand its probably going to be a early afternoon slot 3.MMW - saw them play a late night set at 'roo in 2003 and they wore it out! they opened up a whole new genre of music for me as a youngster so i have a very strong connection with them 2.DMB - have seen the boys play 28 times and am amazed at the level of playing that they are putting out now. the addition of jeff coffin/rashawn ross has upped the ante and they have done nothing but bring it every night since. 1.Stevie Wonder - one of the legendary musicians to ever walk this earth and he will put on a phenominal show. i mean honestly ...the man wrote Songs In The Key Of Life
Post by Scooter1984 on Feb 10, 2010 13:43:06 GMT -5
1.) Flaming Lips- One of the best live show's I've ever seen before 2.) Jay-Z- Never seen before and one of the few rap acts I really like. 3.) Manchester Orchestra- Seen'em twice, very high energy 4.) The National- Seen'em twice also....love they're sound 5.) Ok Go- Never seen'em wanted to for a while 6.) Phoenix- One of my favorite show's from last year 7.) The Avett Brothers- Missed seeing them too many times 8.) The Dead Weather- It's Jack White....enough said 9.) John Fogerty- Some great classic tunes 10.) DMB- Love'em or Hate'em...they put on a good show