Game Play In the small, friendly music community of Bonnaroo, a crafty Mafia have infiltrated the population.
Every day, the population (all live players) gather to discuss whom they think is a member of the Mafia. There is a vote, and the one with the majority is executed. The Townspeople must do this in order to clean Bonnaroo of the Mafia and restore its peaceful vibe.
Every night the Mafiosi decide amongst themselves who to ruthlessly assassinate. At the beginning of each morning, people learn that one of their own has been killed.
Through disrupting the votes and performing their assassinations, the Mafia will try to eliminate Townspeople to the point that they are in the majority and they will rule Bonnaroo forever.
Thus, the Townspeople's great hope is the Inspector. This is a secret figure, known only to him or herself, that has inside information on the identity of the Mafiosi. S/he can covertly use this information to influence the votes towards the Mafiosi. But s/he better watch his/her step, because if the Mafia gets wind it will be lights out.
Rules 1) The Referee randomly chooses from the 11 players three Mafiosi and one Inspector. All the rest are Townspeople. Each player is informed of their role via PM, and are not allowed to share that information with one another except in the official Mafia game thread. The Mafia are informed of one another's identity, and they are allowed to converse among themselves via PM. To put it plainly: a) If you are not a member of the mafia, do not discuss the mafia game outside the mafia thread with any other player or with any non-player who might discuss the game with a player. b) If you are a member of the mafia, you may discuss the game freely among your fellow mafia only. Do not discuss the game outside of this thread with any non-mafia player.
2) The Inspector is informed of his/her part, and also of the identity of one randomly chosen Mafia player. The inspector may at any time reveal their identity to the players within the thread. (see game play warnings above).
3) Each day a vote is held for the player to be eliminated. For online play, deliberation and voting is combined; thus, you can vote and explain yourself in the same post. Every player is free to change their vote at any point up until the last vote is in and the Ref declares that voting is closed. The Referee will then post the final tally, and announce which player is eliminated and how they died. Then will begin the Night portion of the round.
4) During the Night, the Mafia decide on the player they want to eliminate (assassinate), and inform the Referee via PM. Once the Referee receives this info, it is posted here in the thread, the player is eliminated, and the following Day begins.
5) Likewise during the night the Inspector will PM the Referee and guess one player's Mafia status. The Referee will respond with a 'yes' or 'no' answer.
6) Play continues until all the Mafia have been killed (Townspeople win), or the Mafia out number the Townspeople (Mafia win).
7) Player roles will not be revealed until the game has concluded.
8) AKA The Bek Rule: Players who have been eliminated are still welcome to post in this thread, but are asked to not say anything leading to any knowledge, suspicions or opinions you might have. This includes use of the Like/Dislike feature.
9) The ref will do the death stories/videos.
10) AKA The kdogg Rule: There will be no sharing of role PMs inside the thread or outside for the purpose of disclosing your role to another player. This also goes for password sharing. Common sense should be used, no discussion of your roles, except between Mafia, outside the thread - EVER.
11) Voting will be open for 36 hours each round, or until everyone has cast their vote - whichever comes first. Voting will never follow the 36-hour rule on the weekends. The Referee will only ever close voting on a Saturday or Sunday if all players have already cast their vote. If a player has not voted by that time, their vote will not be counted. If a player misses two votes, they are out of the game regardless of how good your reason is. When it is decided that a player is out, they will be killed off during the day alongside whoever would have been killed by vote. a) If the Inspector has not made a guess within 36 hours during a Night round, the Inspector will forfeit that guess. b) If the Mafia have not reported a whack victim within 36 hours during a Night round, the Mafia will forfeit that whack and the Townspeople will receive another round of voting during that Night round to offset the missed whack.
12) The Referee shall neither answer an Inspector's inquiry nor execute a Mafia's chosen victim until after having received both the Inspector's inquiry and the Mafia's chosen victim. If the Inspector is the victim, the Inspector is not owed an answer from the Referee. The Referee shall only accept victim names from living Mafia players.
13) AKA The Bacon Rule: The bigger the whiner, the smaller the wiener.
Shot in the dark but I do not like it when everyone just calls the first round a crapshoot.
Isn't it though? What do we have to go off of ?
If you get people talking and votes start moving, it begins to provide a map. The more material each player posts, the more there is to pick apart. Some players like to fly under the radar and keep post counts down. They can be either townies or mafia, but that strategy is much more suited for mafia than it is townies.
The flip side is that there are some players (myself included) who talk a lot regardless of role. The more people put in thread, the more chance of a mistake or of misspeaking. Townies can use that to their advantage. However, be cautious since experienced players are really good at taking what has been posted and twisting it to their own ends. I have done that in the past as a townie.
Your best method of figuring out who is who is by voting patterns, but if you are looking for nuance, more in thread is better. Fast, quiet rounds favor the mafia because they need to manipulate more to save each other. This is mostly personal opinion, so take it with a grain of salt.
My vote for roonectar is for the reason I stated. I also want to get him talking, since he has a tendency to run silent and try to survive as long possible even as a townie. If he starts talking, it helps me to figure out what he is before he goes quiet. He is also a typical mafia target, and will be discussed, giving insight into people's roles. Thats why I am voting for roonectar.
I'll just play. But you're not getting much out of me once I get to Wanee on Thursday til Monday.
Thats 5 days that Hakuna wont be very active in this game. Which is completely understandable cause he's at Wanee. However from a townie perspective I don't like that. He won't have the time to look over the posts and the voting pattern to see who he thinks is most likely to be Mafia. And also Mafia could use that to their advantage to string him along. So yeah he could be a townie. But its only Day 1 and I have nothing else to go off of. If something tickles my pickle I'll change my vote accordingly
Although, Tejas, I don't necessarily agree with you about Hakuna. He's a pretty useful townie around, and it's not like he's giving us the ole "busy at work" run-around. He's actually going to Wanee, so I don't think it would be fair to just toss him in a runoff b/c of that. Just my two cents.
I don't necessarily think Hakuna should be in a run off right away either. Just explaining why I voted for who I voted for. Its only day 1 so not much to go off of. I'd be open to change my vote to force a run off
Yea krissy, see how I got two votes? It doesn't take much to become a target. Mafia or misguided townie it's all pins and needles around here
While pins and needles are effective, I prefer Bats, Pliers and Combat Knifes. And you are not being targeted for no reason. You know you are quiet, and I have said in previous games I would like you to speak more. I am using my vote to make that happen. Right now, I have no idea what role you have, but I would like to find out.
And bogart, you are voting for a townie. You want to move me in the runoff, even though I was the first one to leave myself unprotected. Granted I move early almost every game, but your reasoning has been used against me when I have been a townie before. Leave your vote on me if you want. I tend to end up in first round runoffs anyways regardless of role due to how I play.