I meant to ask what albums I should download off of it, but was tired and failed. I lifted off a guy I really like on atease, but I didn't want to keep pestering him. So I was going to pester you guys. But I'm probably going to go ahead and download the top 50 or so.
So you never meant to claim it as your own? Fail.
What is "atease"? Is that the Radiohead message board? If so, how come this guy didn't list a single Radiohead album in his top 500? Wait... was it Thom Yorke?
Naturally, anything from that list that I have in my list I would recommend. I wouldn't recommend obtaining the to 50, because honestly some are duds, and others, as Bishop indicated, are just not the best representations of certain artists. You'd probably be ok with the top 20, though.
Ok, the so I tried to make it as broad as possible while still hitting some of the more niche personal favs. I feel bad leaving off many things, but this is MY top 200, I had to make some surely unpopular sacrifices. I preface, I'm sure it's a wacky looking list, but here goes....
200. The End of The Innocence - Don Henley 199. Lifeforms - Future Sound Of London 198. Electric Lady Land - Jimi Hendrix 197. Houses Of The Holy - Led Zeppelin 196. Prayers On Fire - The Birthday Party 195. Aenima - Tool 194. Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven - Godspeed You Black Emperor 193. Ride The Lightning - Metallica 192. Micro-Phonies - Cabaret Voltaire 191. Circus - Lenny Kravitz 190. ATLiens - Outkast 189. Magic City - Sun Ra 188. Birds Of Fire - Mahavishnu Orchestra 187. Night Moves - Bob Seger 186. Odelay - Beck 185. White Blood Cells - The White Stripes 184. Rumours - Fleetwood Mac 183. Kollaps - Einsturzende Neubauten 182. Urban Hymns - The Verve 181. The Bends - Radiohead 180. Paris 1919 - John Cale
179. Soft Bulletin - The Flaming Lips 178. Stand! - Sly and The Family Stone 177. Baduizm - Erykah Badu 176. Raw Power - The Stooges 175. Music From Big Pink - The Band 174. Rain Dogs - Tom Waits 173. Empires - VNV Nation 172. Achtung Baby - U2 171. Bookends - Simon & Garfunkel 170. Follow The Leader - Eric B. & Rakim 169. Late For The Sky - Jackson Browne 168. This Nation's Saving Grace - The Fall 167. Johnny The Fox - Thin Lizzy 166. Fear Of Music - Talking Heads 165. Music For The Jilted Generation - The Prodigy 164. Station To Station - David Bowie 163. Let Love In - Nick Cave 162. 1999 - Prince 161. Some Great Reward - Depeche Mode 160. Diamond Life - Sade 159. Land Of Rape And Honey - Ministry 158. Rust Never Sleeps - Neil Young 157. Temple Of The Dog-Temple Of The Dog 156. TNT-Tortoise 155. Blackstar-Mos Def & Talib Kweli 154. Let's Get It On-Marvin Gaye 153. Violent Femmes-Violent Femmes 152. III-Download 151. Modern Sounds In Country-RayCharles
150. Murmur - REM 149. Future Days - Can 148. Days Of Future Passed - The Moody Blues 147. Angel Dust - Faith No More 146. Eat A Peach - The Allman Brothers Band 145. Pink Flag - Wire 144. Horses - Patti Smith 143. Give It Up - Bonnie Raitt 142. Starfish - The Church 141. Crushed Velvet Apocalypse - The Legendary Pink Dots 140. Trout Mask Replica - Captain Beefheart 139. Sabotage - Black Sabbath 138. Blow By Blow - Jeff Beck 137. White Light, White Heat - The Velvet Underground 136. Free Jazz - Ornette Coleman 135. 13 Above The Night - My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult 134. Utd. State 90 - 808 State 133. My Life In The Bush of Ghosts - David Byrne & Brian Eno 132. Autobahn - Kraftwerk 131. Agaetis Byrjun - Sigur Ros 130. Sign O The Times - Prince 129. Uncle Meat - Frank Zappa 128. 20 Jazz Funk Greats - Throbbing Gristle 127. Spiderland - Slint 126. Year Zero - Nine Inch Nails
125. Moon & Antarctica - Modest Mouse 124. Desperate Youth , Bloodthirsty Babes - TV On The Radio 123. No pandafooting - Robert Fripp & Brian Eno 122. Astral Weeks - Van Morrison 121. Phaedra - Tangerine Dream 120. Something/Anything - Todd Rundgren 119. Power, Corruption, Lies - New Order 118. biznatches Brew - Miles Davis 117. Vaya - At The Drive In 116. That Total Age - Nitzer Ebb 115. Trio - Linda Rondstadt, Dolly Parton, & Emylou Harris 114. The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses 113. Music Is Rotted One Note - Squarepusher 112. Forever Changes - Love 111. Raising Sand - Robert Plant & Alison Krauss 110. The Inevitable Rise and Liberation Of Niggy Stardust - Saul Williams 109. VIVIsectVI - Skinny Puppy 108. Close To The Edge - Yes 107. Roxy Music - Roxy Music 106. Chance Meeting on a Dissecting Table of a Sewing Machine... - Nurse With Wound 105. Leftism-Leftfield 104. Jaco Pastorius-Jaco Pastorius 103. Satyricon-Meat Beat Manifesto 102. Pet Sounds-The Beach Boys 101. Everything Is Wrong - Moby
100. Songs Of Leonard Cohen - Leonard Cohen 99. South Of Heaven - Slayer 98. The Harder They Come - Jimmy Cliff 97. Locust Abortion Technician - The Butthole Surfers 96. Aja - Steely Dan 95. Front By Front - Front 242 94. Rio - Duran Duran 93. Hex - Bark Psychosis 92. Sea Change - Beck 91. Lateralus -Tool 90. Space Is The Place - Sun Ra 89. Modern Lovers - Johnathan Richman & The Modern Lovers 88. Otis Blue - Otis Redding 87. Any Day Now - The Legendary Pink Dots 86. In The Court Of The Crimson King - King Crimson 85. Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd 84. Blood On The Tracks - Bob Dylan 83. Call Me - Al Green 82. You're A Woman, I'm A Machine - Death From Above 1979 81. Live At The Witch Trials - The Fall 80. Tri Repetae - Autechre 79. Deja Vu - CSNY 78. IV - Faust 77. Rage Against The Machine - Rage Against The Machine 76. When The Pawn... - Fiona Apple
75. Rocks - Aerosmith 74. Cold Fact - Rodriguez 73. Superunknown - Soundgarden 72. Fragile - Yes 71. The Mind Is A Terrible Thing To Taste - Ministry 70. Grand Wazoo - Frank Zappa 69. Third - Soft Machine 68. Pink Moon - Nick Drake 67. Unknown Pleasures - Joy Division 66. Master Of Puppets - Metallica 65. Songs About F*cking - Big Black 64. St. Dominic's Preview - Van Morrison 63. Physical Graffiti - Led Zeppelin 62. Halber Mensch - Einsturzende Neubauten 61. Another Green World - Brian Eno 60. Se Dice Bisonte, No Bufalo - Omar Rodriguez Lopez 59. Songs In The Key Of Life - Stevie Wonder 58. Paul's Boutique - Beastie Boys 57. Mask - Bauhaus 56. Abatoir Blues/Lyre Of Orpheus - Nick Cave 55. On The Beach - Neil Young 54. Amputechture - The Mars Volta 53. Blue Lines - Massive Attack 52. Joshua Tree - U2 51. Marquee Moon - Television
50. Last Man To Fly - Tear Garden 49. Shape Of Jazz To Come - Ornette Coleman 48. Dirty Mind - Prince 47. White Lightning - George Jones 46. Tago Mago - Can 45. Ziggy Stardust - David Bowie 44. Dark Side Of The Moon - Pink Floyd 43. Surfing On Sine Waves - Polygon Window 42. For Emma Forever Ago - Bon Iver 41. 2 X 45 - Cabaret Voltaire 40. Vol. 4 - Black Sabbath 39. Purple Rain - Prince 38. Broken - Nine Inch Nails 37. Too Dark Park - Skinny Puppy 36. In Rainbows - Radiohead 35. Millions Now Living Will Never Die - Tortoise 34. Nothing's Shocking - Jane's Addiction 33. Q: Are We Not Men? ... - Devo 32. The Real Thing - Faith No More 31. III - Led Zeppelin 30. Is This It? - The Strokes 29. Revolver - The Beatles 28. Endtroducing... - DJ Shadow 27. Furnace - Download 26. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath - Black Sabbath
25. It Takes A Nation Of Millions... - Public Enemy 24. We're Only In It For The Money - Frank Zappa 23. Songs Of Love And Hate - Leonard Cohen 22. Lonesome Crowded West - Modest Mouse 21. Ta Det Lugnt - Dungen 20. Asylum - The Legendary Pink Dots 19. Moondance - Van Morrison 18. Jar Of Flies - Alice In Chains 17. Tired Eyes Slowly Burning - Tear Garden 16. Frances The Mute - The Mars Volta 15. Violator - Depeche Mode 14. OK Computer - Radiohead 13. Confessions Of A Knife - My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult 12. Low - David Bowie 11. The Downward Spiral - Nine Inch Nails 10. Closer - Joy Division 9. Ege Bamyasi - Can 8. Selected Ambient Works 85 - 92 - Aphex Twin 7. Red - King Crimson 6. Last Rights - Skinny Puppy 5. And Justice For All - Metallica 4. Tupelo Honey - Van Morrison 3. Get Your Wings - Aerosmith 2. The Fragile - Nine Inch Nails 1. Off The Wall - Michael Jackson
Post by steveternal on Sept 15, 2010 12:58:40 GMT -5
I find "Roxy & Elsewhere" to be the zenith of his jazz-fusion period. I'm usually not one to automatically hold live albums up higher than studio work, but in this case it is superior (although strictly for composition, I'd take "Hot Rats").
OK, here's a comment... or more of a question: why is Aerosmith #3? I have never listened to one of their albums, and always figured I knew enough about the group from their many hits. Why do you think this album is the third greatest album ever made?
Not greatest. I was looking at it more "favorite/most personally influential" album. Like, I couldn't effectively argue it's a better record than "Pet Sounds", for example, but I can definitely say it's one of the more underrated American rock albums of the 70s. It was one of my first albums (like "Off The Wall") and really kick started my interest in music and singing.
Plus, "Seasons Of Whither" is an unsung classic, "Same Old Song And Dance" is an excellent single, "Train Kept A Rollin' " is one of the best covers ever, and the rest of the album is just perfect early 70s rock.
Not greatest. I was looking at it more "favorite/most personally influential" album. Like, I couldn't effectively argue it's a better record than "Pet Sounds", for example, but I can definitely say it's one of the more underrated American rock albums of the 70s.
Now, see, that's very interesting to me because for my list I did look at it as one of absolute, objective greatness. Perhaps not entirely thoroughly, and I wouldn't defend it to the death, but that was my take and for the most part I'd stick to those convictions. In fact, I have a difficult time even imagining how one would separate their own preferences from their measured conclusions about greatness. For me, again, my preferences are almost entirely dictated by what I believe to be of quality. I don't hold myself up as having the capacity for absolute authority on such a scale, but it's still how I work. I guess that's why I also struggle with the concept of "guilty pleasures".
I was measuring by popular opinion, and the idea that some of my choices wouldn't be considered at the level of quality of some others, in mass. That's it. I can see another record's importance over something I've ranked high, but I happen to like what I like more.